Wednesday 31 March 2010

Music Recital

The kid's school held a music recital for the upper classes. This includes Abigail and Sam. All the upper classes had prepared a musical piece or two to share with parents at the recital. I went in with quite a low expectation knowing that the school does not have a 'full-time' music teacher. I also knew that Sam's class had ALL been learning the clarinet! Sam isn't too bad on the clarinet but the thought of 30 children of mixed ability all playing the clarinet together somewhat scared me! I must say I was quite impressed.

The choir, directed by our Pastor (he kind of inherited the position from me) sang 2 songs from the musical 'My Fair Lady'. He did a great job leading them and getting them to sing with 'cockney' accents for 'Wouldn't it Be Lovely'. (for some reason the video wouldn't load so you'll have to wait until I can figure out what happened)

Sam's class was amazing! Who'd of thought that 30 - 8/9 year olds could sound like this on the clarinet!! (you might want to turn your speaker volume down a tad)

The first clip is a medley of 'Oh When the Saints' there are 3 different melodies being played together and although it's not perfect, it is pretty impressive. Keeping in mind some of these children have absolutely no music teaching outside of the classroom. (Sam is the second boy on the bottom row - sitting down)


The next clip is a little bluesy number that they played.


Abigail's class did a music/rythm and poetry number that was quite interesting as well as a jazzy number on recorders.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Way to go Sam and Abby! :)

Judy said...

I loved it. wow a whole class on clarinets That was a brave teacher!